Wetlands Protections

Wetlands Protection

If you live within 100 feet of a beach, pond, stream, bank, salt marsh, wetland, or flood plain you need a permit from the Commission for any activity that alters the land. The Commission is an experienced, friendly, and pro-active board that will work with you to design a project that complies with the state and local wetlands protection laws. If you are planning a project in one of the areas mentioned above please call the Commission early on and we will help guide you through the permitting process.

Altering the Land

To alter the land means any change to the condition of any area subject to protection including, but not limited to:

  • Removal, excavation or dredging of soil, sand, gravel, etc.
  • Destruction of plant life/vegetation, including cutting of trees
  • Dumping, discharging, or filling with any material
  • Erection or repair of buildings, or structures of any kind; driving of piles in a new location
  • Drainage or disturbance of water level or water table