Community Climate Discussions -- email us at Energy@oakbluffsma.gov to learn about future events.
Town Partners with -
CVEC - Cape & Vineyard Electric Co-op: SOLAR
CVEO - Cape & Vineyard Electrification Offering
Green Communities - Town Meeting 5-15-21 Designation 7-18-22
MVC - MV Commission, our regional planning agency
Info for Residents
Electrify Your House
ICAN - Island Climate Action Network - What You Can Do
TRI - Housing Rehab
The Climate and Energy Advisory Committee is appointed to assist the Town through its Select Board in carrying out the vision and initiatives to implement the Town’s strategies for energy conservation, clean energy, green community initiatives and planning for energy sustainability for the Town. The Committee will also assist the Town in assessing the climate change impacts to the Town’s infrastructure, environment and socio-economic systems and evaluate community resiliency strategies for adapting to sea level rise and climate change in a manner that helps to strengthen the community.
The Committee shall be responsible for recommending an energy management plan to the Select Board for their consideration to develop and support the goals of energy conservation and climate stewardship by the Town of Oak Bluffs. The Committee will coordinate efforts to update the Town’s Climate Resiliency Plan and take steps to maintain the Town’s eligibility for State Municipal Vulnerability funding and other grant programs.
Actions by Town of Oak Bluffs
- Green Communities (GC) – Designation received - Town eligible for $144,000 initial Designation Grant - priorities set - final action pending
- Energy Assessments completed for Town buildings under Green Communities
- NO-cost & LOW-cost lighting installed in Town Buildings (CLC subsidized).
- SOLAR – Cape & Vineyard Electric Co-op, others: -OB Fire Staion, OB School: installed & operating -Evaluation & planning under way for other Town buildings + Landfill ground array.
- Memorial Tree planting – exploratory with Parks Commission & Friends of Oak Bluffs
- Outreach – Community Climate Discussions under way at Oak Bluffs Public Library - Consumer information added to Climate & Energy webpage @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Electric Grid and Transportation
The 6 presentations at Ferries Now sold-out event:
Meetings - every other month, Tuesday, 2pm, posted
Bill Cleary - Chair; Green Communities Chair
Peter Meleney - CLC Rep
Marilyn Miller - Vineyard Power Development Fund Rep
Richard Toole - 1st Alternate __________________________
ICAN - Island Climate Action Network
MVC CATF - Climate Action Task Force
CAP / Climate Action Plan
The Vineyard Way
Talking about Climate Change “Saving Us – A Climate Scientist’s Case for Hope and Healing in a Divided World”. by Katharine Hayhoe
17 minute TED talk - The most important thing to do to fight climate change: talk about it
Reducing Waste & Ditching Plastics - Helpful Resources, OB Actions, Actions YOU can take
Natural Resources and Biodiversity