Board of Assessors
- Marie B. Allen - June 30, 2018
- Melanie M. Bilodeau - June 30, 2018
- Jesse B. Law, III - June 30, 2018
The Board of Assessors is responsible for the full and fair valuation of all Oak Bluffs real and personal property for the purpose of the equitable distribution of the property tax burden. The assessors regularly collect and analyze data pertaining to recent real estate transactions, current costs of land acquisitions and building construction, commercial market rents, vacancies, and expenses, and land use issues to assist them in determination of market value.
Massachusetts General Laws dictate that property be assessed at full and fair valuation as of January 1st preceding the beginning of the fiscal year (July - June). Every 5 years the Department of Revenue performs a procedural audit of the assessors work to certify that the Town is meeting its statutory requirement of full and fair value. This next audit will take place in fiscal year 2023. By law, every parcel in town should be inspected every 10 years.
Assessors have the responsibility for the Motor Vehicle Excise tax bills that are originated by the State Registry of Motor Vehicles. The Registry updates bills to reflect recent change and then pass the bills on to the Town for distribution. Assessors grant abatements and answer questions regarding excise tax bills. In addition, with information furnished by the Department of Environmental Police, the Assessor's office originates boat excise bills for people who have boats.
Exemptions and Abatement
Massachusetts General Laws allows certain taxpayers exemptions from all or a portion of their property tax bills. These exemptions are allowed to those who qualified under State Law, primarily from among the elderly, disabled veterans, the blind, widows and widowers, and minor children of deceased parents. In order to receive an exemption, you must apply at the Assessors Office.
Board of Assessors - Agendas & Minutes
- Motor Vehicle Excise Abatement Application (PDF)
- Boat Excise Abatement Application (PDF)
- Exemption application Veterans (PDF)
- Tax Exemption Senior, Widow and Widower - Clauses 17D and 41C (PDF)
- Exemption- Clause 37- Blind (PDF)
- Oak Bluffs 17D Brochure 2018
- Oak Bluffs 22 Veterans Brochure 2018
- Oak Bluffs 41A RE Deferrals Brochure 2018
- Oak Bluffs 41c Brochure 2018
- Real Estate and Personal Property Abatement Application (PDF)
- Form of List Residential Second Home
- Boat Declaration FY19