Town Clerk

2023/2024  Election Dates and Information

In January 2024 The State of Massachusetts will mail out postcards to all registered voters to give you an option to Vote by Mail. 

The following elections and town meetings will take place in 2023 and 2024.

* November 7, 2023 Special Town Meeting

* March 5, 2024 Presidential Primary Election

*April 9, 2024 Special and Annual Town Meeting

*April 11, 2024 Annual Town Election

*September Primary -Date TBD

*November 5, 2024 Presidential Election

Special Note: You must be present at Town Meeting to vote.  All other elections- you may vote in person, by mail, by absentee ballot.  In addition there will be limited days for Early in person voting for March, September and November.  More information will be posted as soon as it is available.





Nomination Papers and Instructional Booklets Available for Ward and Town Committees (Democratic, Republican and Libertarian)

Nomination papers and instructional booklets for Ward and Town Committees (Democratic, Republican and Libertarian), will be available from the Town Clerk's office at Oak Bluffs Town Hall beginning Tuesday, August 8th. Completed forms must be returned to the Town Clerk's office for certification by 5:00pm on Friday, November 10, 2023.  Once certified, candidates must file the certified nomination papers with the Secretary of the Commonwealth no later than 5:00pm on Tuesday, November 21st, 2023.

Information from the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts website can be found here


Please complete this application and send it to our office by email to or by regular mail to the Town Clerk, PO Box 2490, Oak Bluffs, MA 02557.

or Register to Vote online- CLICK HERE

ABSENTEE VOTING - Please complete the Absentee Ballot Application, and send to our office by email to  or by regular mail to Town Clerk, PO Box 2490, Oak Bluffs, MA  02557.


VOTE BY MAIL - Please complete the Vote by Mail Application, and send it to our office by email at or by regular mail to Town Clerk, PO Box 2490, Oak Bluffs, MA 02557.


OPEN MEETING LAW UPDATES                 On March 29, 2023, Governor Healey signed into law a supplemental budget bill which, among other things, extends the temporary provisions pertaining to the Open Meeting Law to March 31, 2025. Specifically, this further extension allows public bodies to continue holding meetings remotely without a quorum of the public body physically present at a meeting location, and to provide "adequate, alternative" access to remote meetings. The language does not make any substantive changes to the Open Meeting Law other than extending the expiration date of the temporary provisions regarding remote meetings from March 31, 2023 to March 31, 2025.                                                                                                                                       

ATTORNEY GENERAL APPROVALS                                       RE: ANNUAL TOWN MEETING OF MAY 15, 2021                    WARRANT ARTICLE #40 (ZONING)                                          WARRANT ARTICLES #36, 38, 39, 40, 43, & 45 (GENERAL)

The Oak Bluffs Town Clerk’s office provides many services to our community. We work cooperatively with other town departments as well as the State of Massachusetts. Since 1880, we have been the keepers of official records and documents - town meeting records, vital records, Zoning and Town Bylaws, and Town Reports. Our office tracks elected and appointed members of various positions and committees.


We are responsible for all facets of every town, state and federal election. All public meetings are posted through this office and are found in the entryway of our Town Hall. This office creates an annual town census, maintains voter lists and provides proof of residency for the Steamship Authority. We welcome any questions you may have about the Town of Oak Bluffs.


Contact the Town Clerk’s Office regarding:

  • Absentee Ballets and Voter Registration for all Elections and Referenda
  • Auctioneer Permits
  • Bills of Sale for Martha’s Vineyard Camp Meeting Association - $10 first page, $2 thereafter
  • Business Certificates - $40 for 4 years (Doing Business As…)
  • Census
  • Certified Copies of Birth, Marriage and Death Certificates (Vital Records)- $10
  • Dog Licenses - $10 or $6 for spayed or neutered. Late fee starts March 1st (add $10)
  • Intention of Marriage/ Marriage License Application Process - $25
  • Junk License
  • Proof of Residency (for Steamship Authority)
  • Raffle and Bazaar Permits
  • Zoning and General By-Laws

Documents & Forms