The Board of Selectmen created and appointed the present Community Development Council in 2005. The Community Development Council (CDC) is an advisory group reporting to the Board of Selectmen (BOS) on matters related to the future of the town as contained in the 418 Community Development Plan (CDP) report: growth, quality of life; open space and natural resources; economic development; affordable housing; and traffic. The CDC will work with other town boards and commissions to address these issues of the future and act as a resource to the BOS.
The CDC has:
- Researched and recommended passage of the Community Preservation Act.
- Wrote the Oak Bluffs Community Preservation Committee By-Law.
- Researched and recommended amending the town Home Business By-Law
- Wrote the present amended Oak Bluffs Home Business By-Law.
- Organized the Oak Bluffs Boardwalk to Beach Task Force; coordinating various town committees, commissions, and concerned citizens to develop a master plan for the revitalization of our town beaches from the North Bluff to Farm Pond.
- Presented to the Board of Selectmen the Seaview Revitalization Concept Master Plan.
- Researched the use of town owned vehicles.
- Wrote a Town of Oak Bluffs Vehicle Policy that department heads and the Board of Selectmen reviewed and adopted.
The CDC currently:
- Compiling and analyzing departmental budgets to produce a Cost of Services Analysis (COS). This COS once completed will assist the Finance Committee, Board of Selectmen, and citizens in making sound financial decisions to determine where revenues are best allocated. This project began in late 2006 and has been an arduous ongoing task. The committee hopes to complete the COS this year.
- Analyzing the use of town owned buildings. This is a project that was also begun in 2006 and the committee has been asked to revisit.
- A task force of the Community Development Council members and Board of Selectmen appointed residents have begun an extensive study of town departments. This study will analyze the functions and services of each department to determine what are the "essential" services required and what may not be "essential". It is hoped that this will help the budgetary decision making process. The group is know as the CDC/Ad Hoc Fiscal Task Force.
The Community Development Council meets on the second and fourth Wednesdays in the Town Hall Meeting Room at 9 AM